Friday, 7 July 2017

Hucknall Town 2-0 Coalville Town

Date: 05/07/17

Venue: Watnall Road

Attendance: H/C 100


Hucknall: Randall, Maxwell, Pitt, Leak, Jenkins, Phillips, Crawford, Banister, Smith, Hodgson, Hubbard.

Coalville 1st half: 
Coton, Pegg, Bryant, Trialist, Towers, Cox, Atkinson, Hollis, Trialist, McGlinchey, Anderson.

Coalville 2nd half: Harris, Pegg, Trialist, Towers, Trialist, Cox, Trialist, Dean, Anderson, Trialist, McDonald.

CMFL Hucknall Town welcomed Northern Premier outfit Coalville Town to Watnall Road on a very warm and humid Thursday evening. Coalville boss Tommy Brookbanks is well known to the home faithful, having managed the Yellows in their Northern Premier days.

 There were a  few trialists on show for the visitors, and it was one of the hopefuls who almost put ‘Ville into the lead in the first minute – running through the Hucknall backline before unleashing a shot from 20 yards that only just cleared the bar. From a corner a few seconds later, the visitors had a header cleared off the line at the far post, and early doors, it really looked as if Hucknall were going to be in for a tough time of it. They did produce the next chance though, Shaun Smith heading just over from Town’s first corner. Blair Anderson was played through on goal in the 6th minute, and only a great save from Mike Randall kept the scores level. What a cracking start to the game!
With 12 played, McGlinchey saw his fierce drive from 15 yards clear the bar, then Hucknall almost grabbed the opener as a corner was flicked on by Smith to Hodgson at the far stick – unfortunately for the striker his diving header cannoned off the foot of the post and the loose ball cleared. Smith headed over on 18, then his terrific cross-field pass set up Crawford for a shot, but the wingers drive across the face of the goal flew just wide of the post. 
Coalville almost took the lead midway through the half – a curling 20 yard Joe Pegg free-kick looked a goal all the way, but it was not to be as the ball crashed off the post before being hacked to safety.This was real end to end stuff, and Dave Leak had a great chance to fire Hucknall into the lead on 32, but slotted just wide after a goalmouth scramble saw the ball land at his feet. Five minutes later, Leak was again unlucky as his header from a free-kick flew just over the bar. H-T 0-0

Within seconds of the restart, Smith headed Hodgson’s cross goalwards, but the visiting keeper did well to punch the effort to safety. Coalville had made seven changes to their first half line-up with four trialists given a chance to show their worth. Hucknall took full advantage of the “weakened” opposition and were deservedly ahead in the 65th minute. Mike Banister had been guilty of overhitting a few passes, but made full amends when he picked out Matt Brian on the left, and when “Cabbage” crossed the ball into the box, Adam Nelson was waiting in the 6 yard box to stab home.

Hucknall added a second on 72, but this was a bit of a gift from the ‘Ville keeper as he allowed Nelson’s tame 15 yard effort to trickle past his outstretched arms and nestle in the back of the net.

The visitors were hardly in the game as the second half progressed, and Hucknall looked the much better team, even though they too had made several changes in their personnel. The last real action of this terrific encounter came with four minutes to play, Jordan Phillips seeing his shot well saved by the Coalville keeper. F-T 2-0

 Looked a bit dodgy, weather-wise, but thankfully the clouds were all show and no go!

Check out these pics taken by Pete Lee - used with permission