Tuesday, 4 July 2017

Hucknall Town Res 3-2 Bridgford Utd

PSF at Watnall Road, Hucknall

Had a chat with Andy Saunders, Brian Franks and Tony Squires on my way to join Kev and Mr. Mac near the halfway line. Andy and Tony came to sit with us at half-time, as did Town stalwart Michael Banister - after he had finished firing a few balls over the Watnall Road stand during the break!

I have so say I was a little disappointed when the Hucknall team emerged from their changing room. The squad was made up of reserves and a trialist or two – no first team players on show at all. Many of the first team were on the pitch at half-time having a bit of a kick about, but we will have to wait until Thursday to see them in proper action.

The oppostition had some local “names” in their squad – and it looked as is Real Utd had been re-incarnated as Bridgford Utd. They are down to play in the NSL Div 2 in the coming season, but if they can keep this squad together, they won’t be in Div 2 for long! A few names that most people reading this will know – Nathan Francis, David Baofo, Jourdan Blair, Jarrod Westcarr, Tyrell Shannon-Lewis and Eugene Francis.

It appeared that the visitors were short on kit – and had Nathan Francis looking resplendent in a Manchester Utd no. 9 shirt. It was Francis who opened the scoring on 18, racing past a Town defender to get to the ball and slot home. The half was really nothing really to write home about, with Town offering little or nothing in any department, and United seemingly heading towards a comfortable victory. Francis added his and United’s second on 37, drilling home from close range after the ball had crashed off the foot of the post and landed conveniently at the strikers feet. Still nothing from the home team in reply as we reached half-time – leaving us wondering if we should even bother staying for the second half!  H-T 0-2

As it transpired, the decision to stay was a good one, as Hucknall turned the game on it’s head in the second 45. Whether the United players had given too much in the first half, or whether the Town lads got a right bollocking during the break I can’t say, but what a transformation we were witness to as the second half progressed.

Hucknall reduced their deficit on 60, Morgan Jubb doing well to nod home at the far stick. On 68 the scores were level thanks to a belting 18 yarder from Tom Hubbard (pictured below), a shot that flew arrow straight, unerringly into the back of the net. The shot was hit so well, the visiting keeper had no chance to react before it flew past him.

The scores stayed level until the final minute. United conceded a free-kick centrally on the edge of the box, and after the wall was positioned, Aaron Evans stepped up and curled the ball over the wall and into the top corner. What a strike it was – and despite the player looking slightly silly after turning around with arms raised like he’d just scored the goal of the century, it was certainly a class hit and as the ref blew for full time soon after, turned out to be a cracking match winner. F-T 3-2 

The following images are images used with permission