Monday, 4 September 2017

Four games - a few words on each

Been a bit hectic recently - but with the goals flying in left, right and centre, THINK CHILDREN charity pot is already heading towards the £200.00 mark and we've only just entered September!

Game 1
Friday night football arrived at the Wharf Lane home of Pinxton FC who entertained neighbours South Normanton FC in a CMFL South Division junction 28 derby, in front of a crowd of 161,

Alex Statham put the visitors ahead on 28, then 10 minutes later Kev Hemagou doubled their lead from the spot. This was a proper blood and thunder local derby, and when Liam Green scored for the home team right on half-time, the second half was set up nicely. H-T 1-2

Defending a slim lead, it was a case of the visitors keeping their cool and holding on to what they had. Football is a cruel mistress at times, and when they had a player dismissed things became more and more frantic on the pitch. South Normanton held on to their slender lead until the 79th minute when Jack Hawkins levelled, and with Referee Kev Guise having to dismiss another Normanton player, it was backs to the walls for the final minutes of the game – but the nine men were able to keep out everything that Pinxton threw at them and the points were shared. F-T 2-2

Game 2
Saturday’s game was Selston FC v Holwell Sports in an EMCL fixture. This was Selston’s first home game of the season (cricket takes precedence until September), and gave us a first chance to take a look at the ground improvements that are taking place to bring the Parish Ground up to Step 6 standard. With hard standing on two sides and a new seating area, things appear to be progressing nicely. With the playing area now railed off to prevent spectator incursion, and all the cabling laid for the eagerly awaited floodlights, the club looks well on the way to achieving the ground grading needed for them to compete in the EMCL.

Selston – Ball, Breach, Renshaw, Davis, Marriott, B. Moore, Layton, Hempshall, Airey, C. Moore, Waldram. Subs: Gregory, Cooke, Jones, Melbourne, James.

Holwell – Cragg, Rushton, Chapman, Randall, Bitmead, Stevenson, Reek, B.Smith, Tinsley, Footer, Fontoura, Subs: Hazeldine, Bloxham, S. Smith.

Referee: Mark Thomas
Assistants: Derek Spray, Thomas Buhle

The game was only seconds old when Holwell were gifted a golden chance – Marriott failed to connect properly with an attempted pass back to Jake Ball,  leaving Kieran Footer a clear run at goal – luckily for the home team the striker directed his shot straight at the keeper, and the chance went begging. Both teams played positive, attacking football throughout the rest of the half, but neither was able to find the back of the net. H-T 0-0

The home team opened their Parish account two minutes into the second half. Renshaw played the ball to Hempshall who in turn fired it wide to Layton. His cross to the far post was met by Carl Moore, but Cragg managed to palm the initial shot off the line. However, the striker was quick to react and his second attempt, a close range overhead volley crossed the line to give the home team the lead. 

Seven minutes later the score was doubled, this time Moore controlling the ball in the corner of the box before firing it across the keeper and into the far side of the goal. Holwell never gave up during the remainder of the game, but couldn’t breakdown the Selston back line. F-T 2-0

Game 3
Decided to take in a Sunday morning game, and chose AFC Dowhan v Robin Hood in a Notts Sunday League Division 1 fixture.

Was at this game with Kev, and between us we were able to identify most of the Dowhan players – keeper Gary Hickman along with Steph Rogers, Glenn Garfield, Greg Conn, Chay Betteridge, Tom Coupe, Rory Smith and Nick Davies. The Robin Hood team was largely unknown, but a couple of their starting eleven play for Bilborough Town in the Notts Senior League’s Premier division.

Although Dowhan dominated the first forty minutes or so, they were thwarted time and time again by a stubborn defence and a more than capable keeper. Referee Tim Gregory awarded the homesters a penalty on 40 after a trip in the box. Chay Betteridge stepped up and fired the ball into the corner of the goal. Two minutes later, Dowhan doubled their lead. A corner in from the left saw Greg Conn leap well to beat the keeper to the ball and head powerfully home. F-T 2-0

Conn heads home the Dowhan 2nd
Referee Gregory had to dismiss the visiting no. 2 on 50, after he committed a second bookable offence. A hard job for Robin Hood was now mission impossible. On 64, Betteridge added his second after he collected a superb Rory Smith pass, ran into the box and fired the ball into the far corner. 

With 70 played, Ash Foster netted the Dowhan fourth, finishing off a neat four man move. Betteridge completed his hat-trick with eight to play, firing home at the second attempt after the keeper had saved his initial effort. Seconds later, Rory Smith rounded off a great win for the home team, smashing towards the top corner, and seeing it crash off the underside of the bar before hitting a defender on the back of the head and flying into the roof of the net. Could be classed as an own goal but it was given as Smith’s – quite righly so! F-T 6-0

Full set of pics on Kev's facebook page

Game 4
Nottingham Forest Ladies entertained Leeds United Ladies in the FA WPL Cup at Basford United. The first 15 minutes weren’t too good to be brutally honest, but Kelly Darby settled any home team nerves on 16 when she fired home from the corner of the area. Amy Dicken added a second for the Reds on 35, running into the box before drilling the ball past the Leeds custodian. F-T 2-0.

The Leeds keeper was subbed during the break, and her replacement had to pick the ball from the back of the net just 22 seconds into the second period, Charlotte Griffin stabbing home at the near post after the visitors defence had failed to clear the ball as it ran loose in the 6 yard box. Dicken was on hand to slot home again two minutes later after the keeper had failed to hold on to the ball. 

On 50, Hazzanna Parnell beat the offside trap and raced into the area before slotting home Forest’s fifth. Rebecca Kemp added another on 70, this one a simple tap in. Leeds did grab a goal from the penalty spot soon after, but the home teams six goal lead was restored with 10 to play, this time Trina Greaves on hand to finish. F-T 7-1. 

Admission : season ticket
Attendance : 94
Referee : Mr. Andy Harland